Saturday, April 23, 2005

Singapore Swing Part IV

Pictures of buildings and scenary are an interesting part of any place, but what is truly unique is a nation's people. I found Singaporeans to be a friendly lot, and they were not shy about letting this stranger photograph them.

The next several photos I will post are the people of Singapore. All I had to do was walk about and ask if I could take their picture--and I was never once refused.

I awakened one morning and thought I would go for a walk and get a pastry at a small French-style shop near my hotel. You see that pastry shop in the background of this photo, named Delifrance. They had tarts, sandwiches, and all manner of other delightful treats. I especially took a liking to their blueberry tarts--thin flaky crust with a blueberry filling, and nothing like I have yet found here in the U.S.

As I exited the deli, I was greeted by the sight of four girls walking down the street together. They obviously had been friends for a long time, and were chatting and laughing together on their way somewhere, probably shopping. I asked if I could take a picture with them, and they agreed without question. I held out my camera to one of the girls. She seemed disappointed to not be in the picture but agreed to take it anyway. That made me feel both happy and a little sad at the same time.

Singapore is a diverse place, as you can see from the photo. The girl on my right is Indian, the girl to my left is Muslim, and the girl to my far left is Chinese. I thought about cropping this wide-angle photo, but decided not to because it sets the scene in context. Though there was a French style pastry shop there, you can see that there is also an American fast food place, Long John Silvers (of all things) right next door. Looking back on it, I am surprised to recall that the Muslim girl, though wearing the modest head covering, was also wearing bright red lipstick and blue eye shadow.

Next in the Series: Part V

Photo Copyright 2005 by Impacted Wisdom Truth

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home