Sunday, January 15, 2006

The Apollo Lunar Surface Journal

If you are as great a history buff as I am, you will love this website: The Apollo Lunar Surface Journal.

I have been interested in America's space program since the mid 1960s. Of course, I was just a little kid then. But that only made the accomplishments of these extraordinary men, our astronauts, all the more magical. This site gets into the nitty gritty of actual flight transcripts, details about the spacecraft, and boatloads of high-resolution pictures. I have been to this site dozens of times and have only scratched the surface of what it has to offer. If you love history, and especially the history of America's space program, I am sure you will agree that this site is one of the best.

As a bookend to the above NASA photo of Buzz Aldrin, taken by Neil Armstrong during Apollo 11, here is a photo of me taken at the Kennedy Space Center in January, 1971. We took a tour of the facility including the vehicle assembly building where we saw components for an Apollo spacecraft being assembled. I particularly liked the tour of the blockhouse from which "the button" was pushed that actually fired the Apollo Saturn 5 rocket. Here I am, eight years old, standing at the foot of the ladder of the Apollo Lunar Module mockup.



Buzz Aldrin photo: NASA

Lunar Module mockup photo: Dad

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home