Sunday, September 04, 2005

The (political) Dating Game

"Why The Katrina Coverage Made Me Switch To Fox News!" is the title of this article by Lee Ellis of The Post-Chronicle.

In this article, Lee relates a point of law I did not know previously:

"It is against the law for any President to order troops into a city or across state lines without a request and permission from the Governor of that state.

John Armor, a First Amendment lawyer and one of my favorite writers, told me, "Federal law prevents the President from sending in the National Guard until the Governor gives the order. It is little known, but the Commanding General of the National Guard in every state reports to the Governor, not the President, until the Governor says otherwise. U.S. military units (regular Army, not the Guard) cannot be used because of the Posse Comitatus law, until the Guard has been authorized.""
So was it President Bush's fault the troops were not deployed as some feel they should have been?

If your want to see slow, visit this site and check out the dates on the documents at the bottom of the list. Check out the the dates in the documents themselves, not just the date in the links.

The earliest official date on the two Louisiana Governor's Emergency Evacuation by Buses orders. is August 31, 2005. This is apparently an order to move those at the Superdome, as well as other places.

The hurricane hit NOLA on August 29.

Seems a tad late for an emergency order, no? Why wasn't a similar order put into effect before the disaster? It may have prevented this.

More can be found here at Bryan Preston's post on Michelle Malkin's blog.

UPDATE: RightWing Nuthouse has assembled a timeline of events. Check it out.

I swear, if President Bush had shown up like Moses, parted the waters and led the people to safety, the liberals would have sued him for violating the separation of church and state.

UPDATE: Drudge is reporting that, seven weeks prior to the hurricane, Ray Nagin and other officials had warned prepared to warn residents of New Orleans that in the event of a hurricane they would be "on their own" and that the city did not have the resources to "move out of harm's way an estimated 134,000 people without transportation."

UPDATE: The Indispensable Mark Steyn weighs in here on the bus issue, et al.

UPDATE: This is what should have been done witht he buses in New Orleans--before it was too late.

UPDATE: Mayor Nagin praises Bush, Blames Gov. Blanco for Failures in New Orleans. Check out the CNN video link at the bottom of the post at Newsbusters. Seems Bush and Nagin were ready to roll, but Blanco insisted on having an additional 24 hours to make a decision.

UPDATE: Check out this post to see excerpts from the State of Louisiana Emergency Operations Plan. There is also a link to the PDF of the plan.

UPDATE: I would like to extend a cordial welcome to readers of Power Line, and many thanks to Scott for the link.

Props: Lucianne, Drudge MsPfieffer, and Nealenews.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home